Cooking beets is really easy. You don't even have to peel them first! Here are the steps:
- Preheat your oven to 390 - 400 degrees.
- Wash the sand off your beets & cut off the tops (eat them, too). You can leave the tails on.
- Wrap beets in foil. (you can also put them in a covered dish.)
- Place in oven on a pan or tray so beet juice doesn't leak on your oven.
- Cook for 30 - 40 min. depending on the size of the beets.
- Open foil and let beets cool enough to handle them.
- Rub the beet skin off with your fingers.
- Slice and use in salads or in these tasty recipes.
Pink Dip or Beet Hummus (like regular hummus but without the chick peas. feel free to substitute cumin for coriander or leave it out completely. find tahini at Publix, Fresh Market, Capitol Market, and Whole Foods.)
Beet Salad - just toss your cooked beets with some oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and they're really good. You can add toasted walnuts, pecans, blue cheese, goat cheese. The Food Network has also compiled a whole list of beet salad recipes if you're looking for a little more inspiration.